Approaching Vlogs: Should I Or Not?

Today’s prompt couldn’t have been more perfect.

As of today, I have a grand total of 61 followers. This, to me, is amazing. When I decided to join WordPress, I hadn’t thought I’d get that many people who were interested in my work. I’m a creative writer, though I do lots of other things too. Over the last few weeks, however, I have been considering doing something a bit different.

Vlogging.

For those who don’t know what a vlog is – it’s a video blog. I’m not all that comfortable on camera and I thought ‘why not?’ The only way to get used to being on video is, well, being recorded. I know I have a few of you who follow me and read my works (I have no way of knowing which of you read my things unless you like it). So my thought was this:

If I decided to make a vlog on YouTube (because I don’t have the means on putting it here on WordPress at the moment), what content would you, my readers, be interested in? For those who read my writings, and view my rare bursts of photography and reflections on whatever the hell I’m thinking, I want to know what you would like to see.

Voice-Overs for my stories?

General writing tips?

How I do what I do?

This is something I’m actually interested in. I’ve thought about it (more often than I’m willing to admit) but I’m unsure where to start. Which is why I’m reaching out to all of you, my dear readers. 60 is an amazing number. However, to couple with this post, I also want to make a quick comment.

could have been hit by a car today.

Take a moment and read that again. I could have been hit by a car. I was out at the post office, getting ready to buy some stamps to mail in a paper. As I was going to the counter, a car came right through the window on my right. I heard it coming. I turned and saw this old-style car come crashing through the front window of the post office.

I can hardly believe it happened. As I’m sitting here, telling all of you what happened, I have a hard time wrapping my mind around what happened. I can still hear the engine of the car, I can hear the glass cracking before it shattered. I can still hear the sound of the car hitting a wall, the panicked screams of shocked, horrified people.

Had I not stepped up to buy my stamps (which I was unable to buy), I would have been hit by a car. I was standing in front of that window less than a minute before that very car came driving on through. It’s raining outside, you know. Cold and wet, the sky clear and blue. The day itself was a bit of an unexpected whirlwind.

There’s so much going on, right now. Classes, work and this blog (plus a second one I’m using for my work in ADF). A novel to finish (I have a few chapters left), revisions and editing. I have some recording software on my laptop that I’m slowly learning to use.

It’s a work-in-progress. I’m trying to learn new things to implement into what I do so that I’m rounded in what I’m able to do. Everyone knows something like this takes time and a great deal of effort (and support), so here I am.

If I was to start a vlog on YouTube…

What would you like to see?

14 Comments Add yours

1. LittleFears says:

17 of 61 checking in. 🙂

I would say, voice-overs for your stories. I like hearing voice-overs and to be honest, sounds like you have a lot on your plate. At least with voice-overs, there’s no need for original content, so should take less of your time.

Liked by 1 person

1. 93bnmill says:

17 of 61 (now 62), Little Fears:

I’m actually looking into doing some voice-overs, though I have a massive stock to choose from. You are correct in the fact that doing a voice-over of any of my stories will take considerably less time than making something new and out-of-the-blue.

As far as VOs go, I’d have to pick a story and then get it down. That, and see if I can get my hands on a proper mic with a buffer.

Thanks for the feedback, LF. It’s always great to hear from you!

1. LittleFears says:

Oh a decent mic makes such a big difference! I got the Blue Snowball with a pop filter, and man the difference between that and my laptop mic was jaw dropping!

Liked by 1 person

2. 93bnmill says:

It does make a big difference. I’m thinking about getting a Blue Yeti USB with the filter and headphones. I got that idea from Markiplier on YouTube (I’m a huge fan and a game/book nerd). It’ll take me some time to get what I need, but I can start stockpiling a few stories and how I intend to do a voice-over. Never done it before, you know?

I think I might also do a few writing tips, to round it out. I like to be busy. 🙂

Liked by 1 person

3. LittleFears says:

Heh, do you have a YouTube channel set up yet? I’ll pop over and sub early if you do.

Liked by 1 person

4. 93bnmill says:

I do have one. It also has one video on it that I’m seriously considering on deleting because I cringe every time I watch it. That, and I sort of jumped in without preparing and I had only my Canon’s recording software to do it.

Sounds like I’m dying.

It was for a project in my business college, in Personal Development. I’ll hand over the link for you, though I warn you…its an ongoing mess. I think you’re also on YouTube, no? I’ll suscribe once I hunt you down on there.

There’s the link! Enjoy the horror show. 😀

5. LittleFears says:

You talk about stress and anxiety talking t the camera, but mate, you got balls putting balls putting yourself on camera and putting it on YouTube. I still don’t video myself, I think I have done a total of 200 videos in different locations heh. If you want video editing software, consider OpenShot. It’s pretty simple, leaves no watermarks and its free!

Liked by 1 person

6. 93bnmill says:

It’ll look into that, LF.

2. I’ve recently experimented with vlogging. Mine are loosely scripted film reviews and they are supposed to be comedic and light hearted. I’d like to see you try writing tips, I think tips work best when a writer tells us what works for them rather than being too instructive. This gives a fascinating insight into what’s going on. It’s what I like about Stephen King’s On Writing book it is insightful rather than instructional. Anyways I enjoyed your post and good luck in whatever direction you choose.

Liked by 1 person

1. 93bnmill says:

Hello, The World Outside The Window!

I’m glad you decided to stop by and take a moment to talk. It’s always nice to see what everyone else is thinking. Writing Tips are a good place to start. I’ll have to figure out what to make those videos about (Little Fears recommended Voice-Overs for what I already have), so that gives me two different things to do. Plenty of content to do there, no?

What type of films do you review? I’ve seen a lot of different movies, of late. Stephen King’s remake of ‘IT’ is once such movie. That was a movie that kept me on the edge of my seat.

Thanks for stopping by and I hope to hear from you again! Best of luck with all that you do!

Liked by 1 person

1. I’ve seen IT and thought it was fun.. I tend to review science fiction films or genre TV..

Liked by 1 person

3. kasmin says:

I’d say: Go for it. My first vlog (culled from an Instagram live session) got 100 views in 3 days. You never know what is possible. I’ve included your post in my top posts on the topic of “interest” on my blog Unstuck. Happy writing

Liked by 1 person

1. 93bnmill says:

I have a few things in mind. And you are correct. We don’t know what is possible until we try.

Liked by 1 person